Since 1957, St. Luke’s Episcopal School has been recognized as one of the finest schools in Baton Rouge. Our busy campus, with its graceful mixture of old and new buildings and beautiful trees and flowers, provides the ideal setting for learning and discovery. The atmosphere at St. Luke’s is warm and friendly because we believe when students feel secure and accepted, there is no limit to what they can achieve. The early school years set the stage for a child’s lifelong love of learning, and our small class sizes allow teachers to quickly recognize each child’s special gifts and needs. We offer a wide variety of enrichment classes including liberal, visual and performing arts, foreign language, and technology. We also offer after-school activities and clubs. Our athletic program offers various fall, winter and spring sports to students in 5th through 8th grade.
At St. Luke’s, no child blends into the crowd, and no child struggles alone. We are a school of many different children and we welcome all children regardless of race, religion, gender, national or ethnic origin. We are committed to teaching, helping, challenging and nurturing every child, every day.
St. Luke’s Episcopal School began with the 1957-1958 school year under the direction of Kay West and Marjorie Hall. This was in response to the growth of the St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Sunday School program.
- The kindergarten program began with six children on November 4, 1957. By the 1961-1962 school year there were over eighty students in four sections of kindergarten.
- A 1st grade class was started in 1970.
- An additional grade was added each year, reaching the 4th grade.
- A second section of 1st grade was established during the 1984-1985 school year and additional sections have been added to other grades as needed.
- Fifth grade was added for the 1992-1993 school year.
- Middle school opened in 2005.
STUDENTS BENEFIT FROM
- A nurturing environment where each student’s individuality is celebrated and incorporated into productive learning.
- An accomplished faculty with an average of more than 10 years of teaching experience at St. Luke’s.
- The only Episcopal school in Baton Rouge that offers a K-8 model.
- A safe and secure campus.
THE PROOF IS IN OUR ALUMNI
St. Luke’s graduates are accepted into the high schools of their choice. Independent schools and public magnet programs alike actively seek our students for not only their academic abilities, but also their leadership and athletic skills.
Eighty-three percent of our graduates attend Episcopal, Catholic, St. Joseph’s, Baton Rouge Magnet High, or Lee Magnet High.